[MinnowBoard] repair minnowboard power supply

Krau, Michael P michael.p.krau at intel.com
Wed May 3 22:07:28 UTC 2017

Hello Patrick,

Great news on getting your board back up!

The BIOS is actually a generic UEFI Firmware developed for the MinnowBoard MAX/Turbot.   The most recent version is 0.95, and is available for Download at: https://firmware.intel.com/projects/minnowboard-max, release notes are also available on the site, so you can see what you are getting.

Note: the firmware is available in both 32 and 64 bit versions, as the UEFI specification mandates that the Firmware and OS should be running in the same mode (32 vs 64 bit) on each platform.

More about the Firmware:
When the MinnowBoard MAX was under development, it was determined that a generic firmware, which could support a lot of standard Operating Systems should be provided, hence the generic UEFI firmware.  This is much like the BIOS found on most (more) recent PC like devices.  It can boot to Windows, most of the Linux distributions, and several other operating systems capable of UEFI boot.  The firmware also provides the UEFI Shell (a firmware based monitor/execution environment which allows users to experiment on their platform before OS boot), a hardware/device management (setup) capability, and boot device selection (more setup) capability.  So the firmware provided is a good solid boot image (tested and verified on platforms before distribution) developed for maximum flexibility and minimum fuss to the final user.

It should also be noted that the MinnowBoard MAX firmware is ‘open source’, though there are some binary packages (due to hardware IP considerations).  However a developer can get the sources and “roll their own” custom firmware based on those sources.

However, the MinnowBoard MAX was designed as an experimenter board, so there is an SPI header on the board, to allow owners to re-flash the firmware (via a SPI programmer) to any other firmware they desire (please recognize the risks associated in modifying a firmware on a platform).   So basically, developers can create other boot firmware images (CoreBoot, Uboot, whatever) and try them on their MinnowBoard.

Sincerely,

Michael Krau