[MinnowBoard] email from list: too many bounces

John Hawley john.hawley at intel.com
Thu Nov 3 19:52:18 UTC 2016

Nope, basically someone from a domain (we'll call it domain1.foo) sent
an e-mail that passed through the mail server, and they sent it oddly
and the DKIM information didn't match how the mail was sent.

When the mail server attempted to pass the message on from domain1.foo
to gmail.com, gmail checked the published DKIM information, and found
that the message was sent "oddly".  In an attempt to prevent the message
(thought to be SPAM as a result of miss-matched DKIM info), gmail was
directed by the DKIM to reject the message.  The reject causes a bounce
back from gmail to elinux, and bouncy, bouncy, bouncy and a whole bunch
of gmail accounts get/got dropped, including yours Douglas.

Again nothing you can do, this is just the new world of messy DKIM
policies and their lack of mailing list support.  I'll try and let folks
who got dropped know what happened, and again I'm looking at what
options we've got to try and prevent this going forward, though frankly
most of the options are not ideal.

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley