[MinnowBoard] Minnowboard.org wiki access/terms of service

Warren Block wblock at wonkity.com
Sun Apr 3 15:35:01 UTC 2016

On Sun, 3 Apr 2016, Bill Traynor wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 8:39 AM, Warren Block <wblock at wonkity.com> wrote:
>> Hello.  I started to set up an account at
>> http://wiki.minnowboard.org/Special:RequestAccount
>>
>> But the Terms of Service page is blank:
>> http://wiki.minnowboard.org/MinnowBoard_Wiki:Terms_of_Service
>>
>> And setting up an account requires agreeing to those terms, which will be
>> filled in later.  That makes me a bit reluctant.
>
> To request an account you don't actually have to read the ToS, you
> just have to tick the box that says you did.  Are you saying you're
> concerned that there are no terms of service at all and would like
> them filled in?

Yes.  It's not just an agreement that they have been read, but an
agreement to abide by them.  Having these blank is not exactly like
signing a blank check, but it leaves room for unhappy misunderstandings
later.

>> There is no direct admin contact point listed, so I have joined this list in
>> the hope that it's the right place to ask.
>
> On any wiki using MediaWiki, you can always find the admins on this page:
>
> http://wiki.minnowboard.org/index.php?title=Special:ListUsers&group=sysop
>
> In this case, the admin you'll want to contact is warthog9, although
> he will likely respond to this email.

Excellent!

>> Could the ToS be filled in?  Or I can report bugs in the wiki here, if
>> desired.  Like the links to Google+, Facebook, and Twitter on the Get
>> Involved page have trailing pipe symbols that make them 404...
>
> All of these links work fine for me.

The ones at the bottom of http://wiki.minnowboard.org/Get_Involved ?

Firefox 45 gives me a 404 for these until I remove that vertical bar at
the end:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/107232752308803303026/+MinnowboardOrg/posts%7C
https://www.facebook.com/pages/MinnowBoard/388667897899215%7C
https://twitter.com/MinnowBoard%7C