[MinnowBoard] Adding a device to ACPI table when Building Firmware

Juan Black Romero black015 at crimson.ua.edu
Fri Mar 25 21:41:53 UTC 2016

Mike

Thank you for the tip.

However, I want to ask for some additional advice since this would be my
first time dealing with EFI shell applications.

If I understand this correctly, I should implement or create a .efi
application in which I use the SsdtUpdate - shell command (?) - and provide
this command with a modified ssdt file in which my device is included?

>From here a couple of questions come to mind for me. First, what types of
tools should I use to compile this .efi application? I know that the EDKII
has a variety of tools for this purpose, but I am not sure which these may
be. Which specific tools should I use?
Second, I assume this .efi application should be executed before calling
the bootx64.efi; thus, how can I call this application before the Windows
10 bootx64.efi is called? Should I create a new bootx64.efi in which I load
the modified ssdt file and then - within the same application - call the
bootx64.efi that corresponds to Windows 10? Do shell applications execute
before booting the operating system?

I do apologize beforehand for my lack of knowledge on this regard. I am
more like a hardware person and I have been trying to get more involved on
integrating software and hardware at the level of operating system and
UEFI. I do have, however, a basic knowledge of Windows 10 drivers and UEFI,
but this knowledge is very limited at this point without any practice.

Thank you beforehand for any help you may be able to provide me with.

Best regards.

Juan P. Black Romero

From: "Wu, Mike" <mike.wu at intel.com>
To: MinnowBoard Development and Community Discussion
        <elinux-minnowboard at lists.elinux.org>
Subject: Re: [MinnowBoard] Adding a device to ACPI table when Building
        Firmware
03002D7CCB62DD4295C05E51E2BD9B781A9AF96F at SHSMSX104.ccr.corp.intel.com>

Hi,

You can add SSDT table for your device in a shell app and then run Windows
10. Many people are doing this to support their device without changing
shipping firmware. Check out the example code in
Vlv2TbltDevicePkg\Application\SsdtUpdate.

Mike Wu