[MinnowBoard] How to power with an ATX PSU and control it

John 'Warthog9' Hawley warthog9 at eaglescrag.net
Wed Mar 16 00:52:27 UTC 2016

Off the top of my head, I'm not thinking of anything ready made for what
you are after.  The ATX spec does have the 5V standby line, which would
almost be perfect (always on, etc) EXCEPT, it seems to have a maximum of
1A on it.  Noting that the MAX / Turbot can (usually) run on less than
1A at the OS, on startup things all get spun up at the same time and you
need to have about 2.5A available to make sure you can get to the OS.
So that's not, likely, to actually be usable for your purposes.

I can think of a couple, very hypothetical ways, to get something like
what you want, but they would still involve a custom board and likely
discrete 12V, 3.3V and 5V power supplies (or a large 12V that you can
down voltage from, to 3.3v and 5V), since full pci-e needs 12V and 3.3V
which we don't have "easy" access to.

So sadly, I don't have any real good suggestions for wanting to use an
ATX power supply with the minnow and not just have it set to be on all
the time :-/

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley