[MinnowBoard] How can I set MAC address in EFI shell!?

Gerard Bucas gerard.b at tekmagic.net
Fri Jul 10 17:27:04 UTC 2015

Somehow my MAC address on one of my minnowBoard MAX's got screwed up.

Does anyone know how to write a new address into nvram (or wherever it is
stored) using the EFI shell?

I am using latest 0.81 firmware.

While on this topic, how is the MAC address initially created during
manufacturing (is there some utility the factory runs to set the MAC address
for each new minnow board produced)? Also where exactly is it stored?

My firmware got corrupted (so I "bricked" this board) and had to use my
DediProg SF100 to write a new (0.81) firmware to the flash chip. After that
it boots fine and everything seems back to normal but somehow my MAC address
got screwed up in the process.

I own a number of minnowMAX boards and have noticed that the MAC address is
normally "retained" even when one completely erases and re-writes the flash
memory chip (using a DediProg SF100), so this says to me that the MAC
address is not stored in the same flash memory chip that contains the
firmware/BIOS.

Would like to learn more about this...

THANKS!

Gerard Bucas