[MinnowBoard] Compiling kernel for MinnowBoardMax 3.16

Ferchu R chamac2 at gmail.com
Wed May 20 00:38:16 UTC 2015

Hi:

I have a couple of question regarding the steps enumerated in the wiki for
the custom kernel: <http://www.elinux.org/Minnowboard:MinnowMaxLinuxKernel>

Question 1. When merging Ubuntu standard .config with Minnowmax-3.18.txt i
am getting two kinds of feedback:

* Several messages like this:

Value of CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS is redefined by fragment
Minnowmax-3.18.txt:
Previous value: CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=32
New value: CONFIG_SERIAL_8250_NR_UARTS=4

* This kind of message just one time:

scripts/kconfig/conf --alldefconfig Kconfig
./.tmp.config.nxkCkYRh9b:3554:warning: override:
CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_ONDEMAND changes choice                       state
#
# configuration written to .config
#
Value requested for CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE not in final
.config
Requested value:  CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE=y
Actual value:     # CONFIG_CPU_FREQ_DEFAULT_GOV_USERSPACE is not set

The first one, looks ok to me. But I was wondering if the second is ok.

I wanted to ask too, if the build has to be done with:

$ make -j4 && make -j4 modules

I always use $fakeroot debian/rules editconfigs for editing the config and
then $fakeroot debian/rules binary-headers binary-generic to start the
building process. I am afraid that if I use $make && make modules, some of
the stuff I have done to the kernel previously could be omited.

Thanks.