[MinnowBoard] Minnow Max A2 - Ran into a strange problem with latest firmware

Driv3l driv3l at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 18:53:38 UTC 2015

Great, thanks John! Was definitely a head scratcher for me... good to know there's an easy fix.

     On Thursday, January 15, 2015 10:29 AM, John Hawley <john.hawley at intel.com> wrote:

 On 01/15/2015 10:19 AM, Driv3l wrote:
> I purchased a Minnowboard max (A2 revision) at the end of December, and
> ran into an interesting problem which you guys may or may not be aware of.
>
> The board came with the default 0.71 firmware. I installed Debian 7.7
> via a USB Key onto an SD card and everything was fine.
>
> I recently upgraded the firmware to 0.73 and ran into a problem. With
> the latest firmware, Debian would not see the SD card at all and the
> boot would fail (could not find the boot partition / UUID). Looks like
> it didn't recognize the SD card controller. I tried re-installing Debian
> from scratch (this time using Debian 7.8), but still no go. The
> installer could not see the SD card.
>
> I downgraded the firmware back to 0.71, and everything worked again...
> the Debian installer worked fine, and booting and running was normal.
>
> I then upgraded back to 0.73 and tried the latest Debian 8 Jessie
> release. This worked with 0.73.
>
> So it seems you can't use Debian releases earlier than 8 with the 0.73
> firmware. I don't know is this is a known issue or if there is some
> workaround that I might not be aware of (or if there is some specific
> hardware issue with my board that might be causing it). Would be useful
> if this were noted on the Wiki on the distros page to help anyone else
> who may run into this problem.

There was a change between 0.71 and 0.73 to better support Windows,
basically "lpss & scc devices mode"
http://elinux.org/Minnowboard:MaxBios#LPSS_.26_SCC_Configuration changed
default from PCI to ACPI.

There are 2 ways to fix this on the newer firmware:

1) Switch the firmware setting mentioned above and reboot
2) add sdhci sdhci-pci sdhci-acpi to the initrd (so it should work in
both cases)

- John