[MinnowBoard] Minnow Max A2 - Ran into a strange problem with latest firmware

Driv3l driv3l at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 15 18:19:27 UTC 2015

I purchased a Minnowboard max (A2 revision) at the end of December, and ran into an interesting problem which you guys may or may not be aware of.
The board came with the default 0.71 firmware. I installed Debian 7.7 via a USB Key onto an SD card and everything was fine.
I recently upgraded the firmware to 0.73 and ran into a problem. With the latest firmware, Debian would not see the SD card at all and the boot would fail (could not find the boot partition / UUID). Looks like it didn't recognize the SD card controller. I tried re-installing Debian from scratch (this time using Debian 7.8), but still no go. The installer could not see the SD card.
I downgraded the firmware back to 0.71, and everything worked again... the Debian installer worked fine, and booting and running was normal.
I then upgraded back to 0.73 and tried the latest Debian 8 Jessie release. This worked with 0.73.
So it seems you can't use Debian releases earlier than 8 with the 0.73 firmware. I don't know is this is a known issue or if there is some workaround that I might not be aware of (or if there is some specific hardware issue with my board that might be causing it). Would be useful if this were noted on the Wiki on the distros page to help anyone else who may run into this problem.
Thanks.