[MinnowBoard] NIC Lure

John Hawley john.hawley at intel.com
Tue Nov 25 21:27:35 UTC 2014

Chris,

Out of curiosity would USB3 be good enough as an interim solution?
There exist USB3 GbE nics, and in my testing you can saturate them just
as well as the PCI-E.  Obviously it's not ideal, losing DMA isn't
anything to sneeze at, I'll admit, but for the applications I'm doing
with the MAX where I need more than one NIC that's what I've been doing
and have been pretty happy.

Some quick paper napkin math to justify USB3 & GbE:

USB3 has 5Gbps of available bandwidth

a single GbE interface needs 2Gbps of bandwidth (bi-directional)

so a single USB3 port should be able to accommodate two GbE ports and 5
10/100 ports before *COMPLETELY* maxing out the bus.

I'm obviously not taking into account various bits of overhead, or the
extra CPU time needed to deal with USB in general, just more indicating
that USB might not be a horrible interim solution (obviously depending).

- John 'Warthog9' Hawley