[MinnowBoard] I2C with MPU6050

John Hawley john.hawley at intel.com
Wed Oct 15 13:51:59 UTC 2014

On 10/15/2014 4:32 AM, Nanik T wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've got a MPU6050 (like this one
> http://www.ebay.com/itm/MPU-6050-Module-3-Axis-Gyroscope-Acce-lerometer-for-Arduino-Power-supply-3v-5v-/351196348540)
> and I'm able to read it using Raspberry Pi using this instruction
> http://blog.bitify.co.uk/2013/11/interfacing-raspberry-pi-and-mpu-6050.html
>
> I'm trying to do the same by interfacing it with Minnowboard Max by
> connecting it using the JP1 header pins as follows:
>
> MPU6050 (VCC) --> Pin 4
> MPU6050 (GND) --> Pin 1
> MPU6050 (SDA) --> Pin 15
> MPU6050 (SCL) --> Pin 13
>
> I'm using the schematics
> (http://www.elinux.org/images/f/fd/MinnowMax_RevA1_sch.pdf) on page 20.
>
> I'm using i2cdetect to detect the MPU6050 but it does not show anywhere
> I tried 'i2cdetec -y 1/2/4/5/6' with no luck.
>
> I've loaded the 'i2c-dev' driver too before running i2cdetect.
>
> Any idea what seem to be the problem ?

Should be on i2c bus #7 if you are using Linux (the low speed header
enumerates under Linux to #7, high speed header #8).  You should double
check and make sure that firmware has i2c enabled

http://www.elinux.org/Minnowboard:MaxBios#LPSS_.26_SCC_Configuration

specifically:

LPSS 2 Configuration
LPSS DMA #2 Support
Enable / Disable
LPSS I2C #5 Support
Enable / Disable
Note: This is what's used on the Low-speed pins #13, #15
LPSS I2C #6 Support
Enable / Disable
Note: This is what's used for the High Speed I2C pins

If you aren't seeing 7 you might be missing the driver for lpss, so you
might want to check your kernel / kernel config (could be helpful to let
us know so we can help you double check)

- John