[MinnowBoard] Where to install Linux (or other OS) on a MinnowBoard Max

Fernando chamac2 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 12 21:10:10 UTC 2014

I think this is the perfect space to talk of something I think, many of us
have doubts yet. We all know the better solution is to use a SATA drive. But
If you are thinking in developing a product, this is not always possible due
for costs/convenience reasons. That lets you with the SD and USB options,
with the disadvantage of the flash drive can be killed for so many write
cycles. As I understand, there are a few of ways to reduce this risk:

1. Boot direct to RAM. Only write to the drive when you application
explicitly need to. This would bring additional benefits regarding speed and
will make the system very responsive.

or

2. Make a traditional installation, but don't create swap when installing
the OS.

or

3. Make a traditional installation, make a swap partition, but set
swappiness to the minimum. That the system uses swaps only when physicall
the RAM is full.

Of course all this alternatives has pros and cons. But if some members of
the community have experience with this, or first hand knowledge, I think it
be very helpful for me and other members.