[MinnowBoard] Installing Windows 8.1 on the MinnowBoard Max?

IVIGuy iviguy at outlook.com
Wed Sep 10 22:41:15 UTC 2014

Hi Peter,
I am running the Create-DevboardKey.ps1 script on Win 8.1U1, here's a copy\paste of my latest Powershell session if it will help.

PS C:\mbm> .\Create-DevboardKey.ps1 -ImagePath Setup\sources\install.wim -Index 2

Number BusType Name                       Size
------ ------- ----                       ----
     0 SATA    Samsung SSD 840 EVO 500GB  465.8 GB
     5 USB     Corsair Voyager USB Device 7.5 GB

Please enter the number of the disk to install to:: 5
Applying USB hack to selected disk & restarting it

Confirm
Are you sure you want to perform this action?
This will erase all data on disk 5 "Corsair Voyager USB Device".
[Y] Yes  [A] Yes to All  [N] No  [L] No to All  [S] Suspend  [?] Help (default is "Y"): y

Disk Number: 5

PartitionNumber  DriveLetter Offset                                        Size Type
---------------  ----------- ------                                        ---- ----
2                            34603008                                    100 MB System
The type of the file system is RAW.
The new file system is FAT32.

WARNING, ALL DATA ON NON-REMOVABLE DISK
DRIVE F: WILL BE LOST!
Proceed with Format (Y/N)? QuickFormatting 100.0 MB
Initializing the File Allocation Table (FAT)...
Volume label (11 characters, ENTER for none)? Format complete.
      96.0 MB total disk space.
      96.0 MB are available.

        1,024 bytes in each allocation unit.
       98,303 allocation units available on disk.

           32 bits in each FAT entry.

Volume Serial Number is 0A70-8867
3                            139460608                                   256 MB Reserved

DriveLetter     :
DriveType       : Fixed
FileSystem      : NTFS
FileSystemLabel : System
HealthStatus    : Healthy
ObjectId        : \\?\Volume{3d5900a3-8f41-4c62-9f6d-3a9aa4dc7abb}\
Path            : \\?\Volume{3d5900a3-8f41-4c62-9f6d-3a9aa4dc7abb}\
Size            : 7610560512
SizeRemaining   : 7573315584
PSComputerName  :

Applying Windows Image

Deployment Image Servicing and Management tool
Version: 6.3.9600.17031

Error: 87

An error occurred while processing the command.
Ensure that the command-line arguments are valid. For more information, review the log file.

The DISM log file can be found at C:\Windows\Logs\DISM\dism.log
BFSVC Error: Failed to validate boot manager checksum (g:\Windows\boot\EFI\bootmgfw.efi)! Error code = 0xc1
Failure when attempting to copy boot files.
The boot configuration data store could not be opened.
ERROR: The system was unable to find the specified registry key or value.
ERROR: The parameter is incorrect.
New-Item : The registry key at the specified path does not exist.
At C:\mbm\Create-DevboardKey.ps1:195 char:48
+                 else                          {New-Item -Path $keyPath}
    + CategoryInfo          : InvalidArgument: (HKEY_LOCAL_MACH...Control\UsbStor:String) [New-Item], ArgumentExceptio
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : System.ArgumentException,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewItemCommand

I've noticed that the drive mapping changes during the process, not sure if that matters or not. A reg key was created at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\usbstor\1B1Cxxxx. This is the one I usually have to delete.

I do have some Powershell coding experience but I haven't looked into the problem yet.

A normal install from a USB drive created with the Windows 7 USB DVD download tool, or manually partitioned with diskpart with the files copied from the ISO doesn't work. The MAX doesn't recognize a valid boot partition nor will it map the drive in the EFI (x64) shell.

TimDate: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 11:50:02 -0700