[MinnowBoard] Mouser Germany shippings

David Anders danders at circuitco.com
Mon Sep 8 18:13:31 UTC 2014

Melvyn,

On 09/06/2014 10:26 AM, Melvyn wrote:
> From personal experience Mouser ship every thing from their USA warehouse.
>  So _*every one*_ needs to sign the USA export document not just Mouser.
> Sad export requirement when complete notebook device can purchased any
> where!

circuitco and Intel are still working with Mouser to clear this up so
that it will not be required to sign this document.

> Mouser have 1141 on back order, I hope this covers all back orders
> they have taken

this amount does not cover the pre-orders. the pre-orders are handled
separately.

> To quote the Mouser web site for the MINNOWBOARD-MAX-DUAL
> *Mouser Product Availability*
> No Stock
> 1,141 *On Order*
> Quantity 641 *Estimated Dispatch Date *17/10/2014
> Quantity 500 *Estimated Dispatch Date *20/11/2014
> *Factory Lead Time *20 Weeks

Mouser, like most big distributors, has a quirky system for estimates on
shipments. we are shipping weekly to Mouser...
> So two questions,
> 1...    how many do CircuitCo have on back order ?
> 2...    how many are being made per week?

i can't give you an exact number currently, but it is in excess of 20k
units...

> Seems like Intel totally under estimated demand...

please note, MinnowBoard is not Intel.

just like RaspberryPi Foundation is not Broadcom, nor is BeagleBoard.org
the same as TI...

yes minnowboard.org did underestimate the initial demand for the
MinnowMax. we had expected that the initial shipments of the Max would
go directly into inventory at many of the distributors and we would have
more time to fill up the "pipe" as it were. initial production was at
300 units per week, but now that we have verified these productions, we
have stepped up to 500 per week. this should increase to 1000 per week
within the next 30 to 45 days.

> And to read how CircuitCo is more than happy to sell over the counter
> to those living locally makes
> our wait even more frustrating.

we weren't aware that this caused a problem for anyone. we were simply
trying to be as customer friend as possible....

> For those who like to make comparisons with the Raspberry Pi...
>
> Last year 38,000 Pis were being made every week by the "Sony" factory
> in Pencoed Wales.
> Production ramp up was
>      June 204 units per week,
>      July  10,000 units per week
>      August 38,000 units per week
> Target > 1,000,000 per year

please note that the RPi production was initially pretty small too. you
can look at the timeline here:

http://www.itpro.co.uk/mobile/19318/raspberry-pi-timeline#main-content-area

in fact the initial back of RPi had a number of delays due to things
such as having the wrong ethernet jacks populated.

in general people on the consumer side often are often unaware of the
logistics involved in ramping up production of something like the
minnowboard max...

> My back order was placed with "TIGAL KG"
> 23 June 2014...      Minnowboard MAX E3825 (dual-core, 1,33 GHz) (Item
> not in stock, estimated lead time min. 6 weeks)

initially all of the back orders were passed to mouser. i am very
surprised that you were able to pre-order with TIGAL as we did not even
have them as a confirmed distributor until the first of august...

> Good luck all those waiting

good things come to those who wait...

Dave