[MinnowBoard] [MinnowBoard Max] Ethernet controller

Darren Hart dvhart at linux.intel.com
Mon Jun 23 17:50:25 UTC 2014

On 6/23/14, 10:33, "Jérémy Hervé" <jeremy.herve at gmail.com> wrote:

>> It is indeed an RTL8111 -  I'll have to leave it to David Anders to
>> specify the exact SKU, as several are listed on the schematic.
>
>Heck :/
>
>- The manual is available only under NDA ; however, the Linux source code
>is
>usually clean (cf.
>http://lxr.free-electrons.com/source/drivers/net/ethernet/realtek/r8169.c)
>.
>So I won't be sad enough to cry, but sad nonetheless.
>
>BUT:
>
>- Typing "rtl8111 linux" (is the NDA means they had something to hide ?
>:P)
>on Google (and on my computer) give the three first result talking about
>RTL8111 problem under Linux; and the solution seems to be the installation
>of Realtek proprietary drivers.
>
>Ok. Nevermind. I'll try, we'll see :)

Well, that's not too surprising. People rarely post with "I just booted
this new device and my Ethernet chip (RTL8111) works without problems!"
and if they do, it won't generate a lot of responses. So googling is going
to pull up complaints :-)

For what it's worth, in our testing so far, the chip has performed well
and I haven't observed any problems. Is there a specific use case you
would like to see tested?

--
Darren Hart					Open Source Technology Center
darren.hart at intel.com				            Intel Corporation