[MinnowBoard] EFI SPI PROTOCOL Issue

vijaikumar k vijaikumar.k at mistralsolutions.com
Wed Jun 4 13:45:03 UTC 2014

Hi All,
          In Minnowboard EFI we have got EFI_SPI_PROTOCOL, Inside
IntelE6xxRuPkg/SpiDeviceDxe folder we have SpiDeviceDxe.c file. It has a
function called InitSpiDevice which has the following line of code which
claims to remove write protection in SPI flash chip.
*Status = mSpiProtocol->Execute (*
*      mSpiProtocol,*
*      SPI_DEVICE_READ_STATUS_CMD_INDEX,*
*  SPI_FLASH_PART_OPCODE_WRITE_STATUS,*
*      SPI_DEVICE_PREFIX_OP_WRITE_S_EN_INDEX,*
*      TRUE,*
*      TRUE,*
*      TRUE,*
*      0,*
*      sizeof (Data),*
*      &Data,*
*      EnumSpiRegionAll*
By default WinBond is Not write protected on powerup (i.e BP0 BP1 BP2 are
zero). I tried writing some value (0x55) into the Status Register using the
above API, when i read back I should get 54. But I get "02". Is the API
actually working?? I tried wiring up a different flash "Micron" and I get
the same 02 after writing 55. Has the API been validated?
 .
Regards
Vijai Kumar K