[MinnowBoard] Audio playback through jack line output

Robert robertdegruijl at hotmail.com
Mon May 12 17:08:07 UTC 2014

Hi
I'm trying to do basic audio playback through the Minnowboard jack line output, using a c-program sending a PCM data to an audio device. Does anyone have documentation or tips on how to do this using the standard Linux Angstrom image from minnowboard.org?
The only playback device I see is /dev/snd/pcmC0D0p, but opening and sending PCM data to this fails (write returns -1).
I cannot find any linux OSS modules (modprobe snd-pcm-oss) in the Angstrom distribution to create a /dev/dsp or /dev/audio device
I don't seem to have a full ALSA support either, I don't have /usr/include/alsa/asoundlib.h. I only have  /usr/include/sound/asound.h which does not have the basic function calls such as snd_pcm_open().
Is there a standard way of PCM audio playback on the Angstrom OS image for Minnowboard, or do I need to install additional audio drivers and/or ALSA modules?
Thanks!