[MinnowBoard] MinnowBoard MAX announcement

David Anders danders at circuitco.com
Mon Mar 31 20:40:14 UTC 2014

Greetings,

On 03/31/2014 03:23 PM, selsinork at gmail.com wrote:
> On 31/03/14 20:50, Scott Garman wrote:
>> The price issue, btw, is a major motivator in us moving forward with a second board.
> The price is only a part of it. Lower price certainly gets you more users, but also appears to exponentially increase the number that couldn't find their own ass in the dark and that's something that will make your jobs a whole lot more interesting.
yes indeed there are definitely different skills levels that are
attracted to development boards. we strive to make it easy for each of
those groups to take up a board and run with it.

> Two thoughts on how to support the community better:
> 1. Make the default distro Debian.

we already plan to have debian available. in fact most of the major
distributions should boot with very little effort.

> 2. Have an answer for the inevitable "can it run windows" questions.

indeed, we have an answer already prepared for this...

> Yes, I realise that windows isn't really the target for this sort of board, but if you ever watched the Raspberry Pi forums it was one of the most frequently asked things for quite a while..
>
> Using Debian makes sense from so many angles, BeagleBone Black is heading that way and the Raspberry Pi's Raspbian is just a Debian rebuild. So there's a large group of people out there interested in these boards who are already familiar with it.

indeed, i personally was instrumental in convincing beagleboard.org
board members to accept the change to debian as the default image
shipped with beaglebone black. we have worked directly with Robert
Nelson to create a very robust debian image for beaglebone black, and
with that in mind, very little will have to be done in order to boot a
stock debian image on the minnowboard max...

> Maybe one last thought is to get the same distributors who carry the board itself to also stock the lures.

Circuitco already has distribution agreements in place and will have the
minnowmax as well as the accessory lures available via distribution. we
hope to work with Radio Shack and MicroCenter as we do currently on
beaglebone black to place minnowmax products there as well.

Dave Anders