[Elinux-discuss] rzg1m yocto support (meta-rzg1)

Jean-Francois Dagenais jeff.dagenais at gmail.com
Fri Jun 10 16:39:17 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I just received my RZ/G1M board yesterday and have been battling getting some form of image built by yocto.

(FYI, I have a lot of experience with yocto, so it's not a newbie related issue ;)

Starting from design support instructions on renesas.com, I followed the link to elinux.org and the rz/g page there (http://elinux.org/RZ-G/Boards/Yocto)

First fail: the links to proprietary drivers are wrong. The first link, referred to as "Evaluation version of the libraries" points to https://www.renesas.com/en-us/software/D3017598.html . This URL leads to a file which is the same as the second link, identified as "the drivers": https://www.renesas.com/ja-jp/media/products/microcontrollers-microprocessors/rz/RZG_Series_Evaluation_Software_Package_of_Linux_Drivers-20151202.tar.gz.zip

So, assuming the two file may have been merged, I unpacked that single file I was able to find. The failure I get then is that the scripts copy_gfx_software_skrzg1[em].sh and copy_mm_software_lcb.sh fail to find what they need.

The copy_gfx gives: "Error: can not find *r8a7743_linux_sgx_binaries_gles2.tar.bz2". Nothing vaguely resembles that in the directory.

The copy_mm finds RCH2M2MMPRDL001 but not RCH2M2MMPRLL001 so the script fails as well.

Second fail: since we are very early in development, and this board was released very recently, I assumed I would build using the latest stable krogoth (2.1) yocto and meta-oe branches. Unfortunately I get plenty of errors. Plus, the renesas-rz/meta-renesas layer on github seem stale... what is happening? Isn't this board brand new? Aren't there any developers out there actively using the starter kit for new products?

SO! Is there a special renesas internal repository containing up-to-date support of yocto? Or is this product just not ready yet? If we need to start contributing to the effort, do we work on github.com/renesas-rz/meta-renesas with issues and merge requests? Or some other comm channel?

Thanks for your help!
/jfd