[Elinux-discuss] Assembler errors when compiling sleep33xx.S of beaglebone kernel with ubuntu arm gcc

Cestonaro Thilo thilo.cestonaro at ts.fujitsu.com
Mon Nov 23 14:00:10 UTC 2015

Hey all!

Hopefully I'm at the correct maillinglist. If not I would be glad if
someone just tells me that I'm wrong. Thanks!

I want to compile a kernel derived from
(https://github.com/beagleboard/linux/tree/4.1) with the standard arm
gcc from ubuntu.
$ arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc-4.9 --version
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc-4.9 (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.9.3-4ubuntu1) 4.9.3

But I get the following compile error:
arch/arm/mach-omap2/sleep33xx.S: Assembler messages:
arch/arm/mach-omap2/sleep33xx.S:39: Error: cannot use register index
with PC-relative addressing -- `str r0,wfi_flags'
arch/arm/mach-omap2/sleep33xx.S:203: Error: r13 not allowed here -- `adr
sp,temp_stack'
scripts/Makefile.build:294: recipe for target
'arch/arm/mach-omap2/sleep33xx.o' failed
make[1]: *** [arch/arm/mach-omap2/sleep33xx.o] Error 1

I'm not that good in assembler hacking. Can someone tell me what is
going wrong here?
Here is the online git version:
https://github.com/beagleboard/linux/blob/4.1/arch/arm/mach-omap2/sleep33xx.S

Thanks for taking time!

Cheers,
Thilo

--
Best regards
Thilo Cestonaro

FUJITSU
Bgm.-Ulrich Str. 100, 86199 Augsburg, Deutschland
Tel.: +49 (821) 804 2328
E-mail: thilo.cestonaro at ts.fujitsu.com
Web: http://ts.fujitsu.com
Company details: Fujitsu Technology Solutions GmbH / http://ts.fujitsu.com/imprint
This communication contains information that is confidential, proprietary in nature and/or privileged.
It is for the exclusive use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient(s) or
the person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient(s), please note that any form of
dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, please immediately notify the sender and delete the
original communication. Thank you for your cooperation.

Please be advised that neither Fujitsu, its affiliates, its employees or agents accept liability for
any errors, omissions or damages caused by delays of receipt or by any virus infection in this message
or its attachments, or which may otherwise arise as a result of this e-mail transmission.