[Elinux-discuss] Elinux.org Default License Change

Bill Traynor wmat at alphatroop.com
Mon Apr 23 17:28:04 UTC 2012

On Mon, Apr 23, 2012 at 12:58, Tim Bird <tim.bird at am.sony.com> wrote:
> On 04/21/2012 07:52 AM, Bill Traynor wrote:
>> Please note that the default license for content additions to
>> elinux.org will be changing from the current GNU Free Documentation
>> License to the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license.
>> This change is being made to encourage greater contribution going
>> forward.
>>
>> Please see the following wiki pages for the updated Policies and
>> Guidelines text:
>>
>> http://elinux.org/NEW_Policies_and_Guidelines
>>
>> Following a period of 10 days, the NEW page will be moved to become
>> the current Policies and Guidelines page.  NOTE that this change
>> explicitly applies to all content from May 1st forward and is not
>> intended to re-license prior content that was explicitly licensed
>> otherwise.
>
> Thanks for doing this Bill.  I'd like to switch over existing content
> as well.  I know that Wikipedia did this at one point.  Can we use the
> same procedure as them to accomplish it.  It involved a flag day, and
> a rather long period of time in which people can raise objections.
>
> I don't want to disrupt the current process, but it would be nice to
> accomplish this some time.

That shouldn't be a problem Tim.  I'll research the Wikipedia change,
which I've found here:

http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Press_releases/Dual_license_vote_May_2009

and then amend our change appropriately.  Obviously, we don't need a
vote, but rather we can state that the change over will be effective
on a certain date.  I'll see about the dual licensing issue as well.