[Elinux-discuss] Elinux.org Default License Change

Tim Bird tim.bird at am.sony.com
Mon Apr 23 16:58:21 UTC 2012

On 04/21/2012 07:52 AM, Bill Traynor wrote:
> Please note that the default license for content additions to
> elinux.org will be changing from the current GNU Free Documentation
> License to the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license.
> This change is being made to encourage greater contribution going
> forward.
>
> Please see the following wiki pages for the updated Policies and
> Guidelines text:
>
> http://elinux.org/NEW_Policies_and_Guidelines
>
> Following a period of 10 days, the NEW page will be moved to become
> the current Policies and Guidelines page.  NOTE that this change
> explicitly applies to all content from May 1st forward and is not
> intended to re-license prior content that was explicitly licensed
> otherwise.

Thanks for doing this Bill.  I'd like to switch over existing content
as well.  I know that Wikipedia did this at one point.  Can we use the
same procedure as them to accomplish it.  It involved a flag day, and
a rather long period of time in which people can raise objections.

I don't want to disrupt the current process, but it would be nice to
accomplish this some time.
 -- Tim